Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Big Bang

I think most people who've been around me lately probably already know that I've gotten really interested in K-pop lately. And especially in Korea's No.1 hip-hop band, BIG BANG!...To be honest, I've heard of them before but kinda dismissed them coz c'mon the name is a little..er.. Haha. But then at the gym, I happened to catch one of their vids, Strong Baby, which is actually a solo by one of their members and it was so catchy and addictive that I got interested in K-pop after that.

I started out with a lot of different artists but it was only after I caught this 'Gara Gara Go' video among some others that I really thought to check out Big Bang. I seriously should have known about them earlier, coz they are really really just my cup of tea. Catchy melodies, addictive beats, electronica/hip-hop/pop, meaningful lyrics, basically their music just appeals to me. And when you watch them perform, they have this charisma and swagger that they pull off very well. But they're not just charming singers, they're rather adorkable and hilarious too. Some of them appear on variety shows and well, they're really rather goofy and silly. Anyway, before I become even more fan-girly, I should just introduce the members, starting with my favourite! This is also in order of age...ahah

Stage Name: T.O.P (Singer Se7en gave it to him to mean that he would be Top of everything)
Real Name: Choi Seung Hyun
Position: Rapper, Beatbox, Lyricist, Composer
Notable for: Can be seen in KBS hit action-spy drama IRIS, naturally smoky-looking 'sexy/killer' eyes (95% of the time, it's not eyeliner but his eyelashes, girls should be envious), his power raps
My favourites: His solos, 'To Act Like Nothing Happened' and 'Big Boy', the songs he's featured in, Gummy's 'I'm Sorry' and Uhm Jung Hwa's 'DISCO'

Stage Name: Tae Yang, SOL (Tae Yang means the sun)
Real Name: Dong Young Bae
Position: Singer
Notable for: His solo mini album 'Hot' was a bestseller and won several awards. A really good dancer, with smooth vocals and a killer body. It's just too bad he's a little short :P
My favourites: His solos, 'Look Only at Me' and 'Wedding Dress'

Stage Name: G-Dragon (literal translation of his Korean name)
Real Name: Kwon Ji Yong
Position: Leader, Rapper, Composer, Lyricist
Notable for: His solo album 'Heartbreaker' was the Best Selling Album of 2009 in Korea, one of the youngest but prominent composers around. Tends to be involved in many controversies from plagiarism to performing 'indecent acts in front of minors' at his concert. Which was blown out of proportion in my opinion.
My favourites: Solo songs 'But I Love You', 'Look Only At me Part 2', 'A Boy', 'Heartbreaker'

Stage Name: D-Lite
Real Name: Kang Dae Sung
Position: Singer
Notable for: Permanent member of SBS variety show 'Family Outing', acted in Korea's version of CATS. Has an almost permanent grin on his face
My favourites: Solo song 'Look at me Gwisoon' (a trot song or Korean traditional music, written by G-Dragon) and Family Outing, which is absolutely hilarious

Stage Name: Seung Ri, V.I, Victory (Seung Ri means Victory in Korean)
Real Name: Lee Seung Hyun (Yes, same as TOP, hence the stage name)
Position: Singer
Notable for: Excellent dancer, has choreographed some of their dance routines, his never-ending confidence that sometimes makes the others pick on him. He likes older girls, hence his trademark 'Noona~~'
My favourites: Solo songs 'The Next Day' and 'Strong Baby'

But besides all of their solos that I like as above, of course there are the favourites from them as a group. And there are quite a lot. Seriously, they are catchy. Just give them a try, you can check them out on Youtube.

1. Lies (The song that really catapulted them into fame)
2. Haru Haru/Day by Day
3. Last Farewell
4. Sunset Glow
5. Crazy Dog
6. Gara Gara Go! (Japanese)
7. My Heaven
8. Lollipop (with 2NE1, their labelmates and considered the female Big Bang)
9. Always
10. Let me hear your voice (Japanese)
11. A fool's Only Tear
12. VIP

At the same time, see how goofy they can be. Here's my fave TOP on my fave variety show of the moment, Family Outing.


And here's TOP in IRIS, currently the most expensive drama ever made in South Korea and it was top of the ratings during its screenings. It's an action-spy drama, something different from those usual tear-jerker romantic/comedies, so do check it out.

1 comment:

chubbylin said...

i like top and taeyang too. ^.^ top is just way too cool. damn macho looking too. rap is amazing haha i sound like a fan girl but i am just normal. eh i really like lies, haru haru and last farewell... well i told i checked them out because of 2ne1 hahahha...