Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Captain is 1/4 of a century!

This is yet another birthday post, what to do, October/November is like the peak period for birthdays for me. Imagine, in a duration of about 9 days, there are 6 friends celebrating their birthdays. -_- Anyway, today is the birthday of Captain Henry! He turns 25, which I keep telling him is old!...hHeheh

This is typical of the Capt..

Anyway, some of you may wonder why we call him Captain. He's also known as 'Lao Pan' which means Boss. Captain is bcoz he was really into Pirates of the Caribbean as I was, in the last 2 yrs, and we all thought that he was pretty much like Captain Jack Sparrow, what with him always seeming a little drunk with his crazy, spontaneous ideas and odd quotes/topics. Of course, he'd also do his charming bit with the ladies, misleading and confusing terms of speech and he even had his 'White Pearl'. Oh, and he also has a tendency to be clumsy like Capt Jack too! Last year for his graduation, we bought him a mini Black Pearl too. As for the Boss bit, well, he was like our ringleader, always coming up with ideas on what to do and all that.

So how did I first get to meet this interesting character? I think it was in 2004 when I joined Swinburne and Augustine became the new Council President after Evelyn left. August had this little group called FShit, bcoz of the boyband F4 which was super-popular back then. There were 4 of them; August, Henry, Dominic and Yii Leong, and they even had the same type/colour jackets! Kinda funny if you think back actually. So August being a friendly/gentleman, he introduced me to them. I remember having a 1st impression on all of them and Henry's was that 'Oh, this guy is definitely a bad boy or a player'. Haha! So I was just polite to them and didn't really talk much then.

Bullying 'Da Ge' at Capt's bday last yr

It was only in late 2006 that I got to know the Captain better because he'd just come back from his IBL in Singapore and joined Mike's FYP group. I'd also gotten to know CY better then and the 3 of them were in several classes together, so yea, we all started hanging out. Then it was the period of our Mahjong addiction from CNY onwards, where we HAD to play at least once a week. During the peak of our addiction, we'd play a few times a week, even though we were all in final sem/year! Crazy and risky, I know. From Mahjong, it progressed to Monopoly since I had 3 sets.

My friendship with the Captain is interesting to say the least. People who know us would probably think so, since they all say that we provide all the entertainment. Haha, he's the Boss and I'm the Lady Boss. CY and Siaw Hui keep saying that Kch is so quiet after we both left. It's coz we're always arguing about things and we're super noisy! Obviously most of my guy friends like to tease me and I'd argue back and disturb them too. So since Henry likes teasing us so much, I am probably his biggest target. And the 2 of us are really competitive and we dont like to lose, whether at Mahjong, Monopoly or even any discussion. But in case anyone misunderstands that we don't get along, we're just arguing for the sake of it. To be honest, I think we both just enjoy the sparring. It certainly benefits the others when playing games with us, since they can win more easily since its just the 2 of us fighting so much. Plus get entertained for free. But nowadays, the arguing isn't quite the same since we're just doing it for laughs and we're both on the same wavelength, joking around, teasing each other and all that.

So yeah, despite his bad 1st impression (hmm, this seems to be recurring), I've come to find that he's actually a great friend to me. We always have lots to talk about, from work, music, movies, or just any old thing. There are definitely no dull moments when we meet up, probably coz we both agree that we cant' find any1 else to argue with us in KL/Johor. But he can be a good listener and gives constructive advice too. Of coz, he'd definitely be able to cheer me up when I'm down, what with his craziness. Basically, a really fun and generous friend to hang out with. Though ppl might talk bad about him being a player or a jerk....but for me, he's been a good friend. So yeah, that's more important to me. After all, I come off across as a snobby bitch to others but my friends dont think so.

Anyway, I count him as the other most important guy in my life at the moment (bsides family). We've been through some good times, as well as some stupid fights due to our tempers (esp mine). But at least we're more mature now and understand, respect and appreciate each other more. So here's wishing the Captain a very happy 25th birthday! You don't need an increment but I think you deserve a promotion for all the hours you put in at work. Here's hoping you'll keep improving on your stability/maturity ;). And pls dont do anything too crazy/stupid. Haha! Cheers to Captain Henry!

4 comments:

kwang houg said...

huhuhu "most important guy" oh:P

Andrea said...

ahha...read carefully o..."Anyway, I count him as the other most important guy in my life at the moment (bsides family)." Michael is also the other one ma..lol...

Mike F. Villarin said...

haha... sure o not? i don think i'm that important

Andrea said...

haaha..aiyo..the 2 of u are the most important non-family guys in my life...actually..sometimes u may rank higher than my brother..HAHAHA..u know how he can be la...anyway...my next bf will have a hard time dealing with u 2 gua...