Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Headaches 101

Developed a headache earlier this afternoon after labeling dozens of books to be donated to a primary school on Friday this week. It kinda subsided before i headed off to school for a night class, which in the end didn't happen, coz the lecturer didn't turn up :P. But after being a couch potato for 2 hours and watching Travel & Living/Star Movies/AXN...it came back. So I thought, y don't I go find out what causes headaches?

You see, during last sem's exams, after studying for awhile, I'd start to feel dizzy and I thought, it might be due to the stress. But after 2 weeks of holidays, I woke up after an afternoon nap and found the room spinning everytime i moved my head. *shudders* It got so bad that I had to stop moving every few seconds. I eventually threw up 4 times that nite, which is basically after every few bites of dinner or few gulps of liquid. Worried, I went to the doctor who explained that I used to have problems with my ear (that 3 loop thingy in ur ear that handles your body's balance?) when I was young. I was like "HUH??!! I did?" But he explained that coz I was coming down with flu, the tube from my throat to ear was starting to get blocked, and thus the imbalance. And geez, I was going to Singapore the next day! Good thing that modern medicine is sooo effective. I was much better the next morning, but still had to keep taking the 'giddy' medicine for the next 2 days. Anyway, on to the Headache 'course'.

Headaches: condition of pain in the head, sometimes neck or upper back pain is also considered *sweatdrops*
Causes: Eyestrain, sinus, tension or life-threatening conditions like brain tumour etc. Don't forget caffeine withdrawal and dehydration. Of course, head injuries
- Most common type:
Vascular headaches, esp in women :P, severe pain on 1 or both sides of head, upset stomach

- Other interesting types of headaches:
1. Ice-cream headache (brain freeze): Studies have shown that the faster you eat something cold, esp slushees, ice-cream, the more likely you are to get brain freeze. Like DUH!...Lolz.

Suggested cures include: moving ur tongue to roof of mouth (to spread more warmth), drink lukewarm water slowly, lie down with ur head on the side, eat cold stuff SLOWLY...ahahahha

2. Coital/sex headaches: Severe headaches at the base of the skull before orgasm during any sexual activity, including masturbation...ahahah! More common in men...*rolls around laughing* The causes are not confirmed, but scientists suspect that a history of high blood pressure or psychological factors play a role.
Suggested cures include: Don't have sex for awhile! (not tonite honey, I have a headache...Lolz), healthier diet and exercise
(Adapted from Wikipedia)
How interesting huh? Hehehehzz....bet you learned something new today ;) But still, doesn't really help with mine. Can still feel it 'lurking' behind my temples. Hope it won't come back anytime soon. Any ideas on how to help/cure headaches, besides the usual panadol? Coz can't always use panadol...

No comments: